Thursday 21 October 2010

october allotment

These are just about the last of my tomatoes. Seven different varieties; Roma, Marmande, Cuor Di Bue, Scatolone, Astro Ibrido, Principe Borghese and Lilliput. I love having a glut of tomatoes. It's such a treat to be able to chop up a few kilos and slowly roast them in the oven with a head of garlic. I push the soft sweet mush through a sieve and freeze in tubs for soups and sauces.


I've also harvested all my various squashes, as the weather is turning cold now and I didn't want to risk being caught out by a frost. The bumpy ones are Rugosa Friulana, and I also sowed Avalon, Potimarron and a Bottle Gourd. They store for months and should keep Betty in her favourite meal of butternut squash risotto for quite some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment